Monday 16 September 2013

the long and the short of it

 photo DSC_1158_zpsbae75b8d.jpg

 photo DSC_1157_zpsd88c6bdf.jpg

My last morning in Montreal was spent with Henri, a hairdresser I'd taken a shine to when he cut my bangs the week before, chopping off all my long hair. I'd been kind of wanting to cut my hair for about two years, but I could never commit, it was just getting long finally, my ex was the kind who balked at short hair and bangs and so on and I wasn't that sure I wanted it short again anyway... all terrible reasons not to cut it, but in the end I'm glad I had it long for a while.

But enough was enough was enough. When staying with my parents I looked at pictures from my early twenties and bemoaned "I was more creative then!" "Weren't we all?" replied Henri, chopping a foot off my hair, "but now we have the chance to be more stylish." Touché, Henri.

I can honestly say I've never regretted a haircut less. I love my short red bob. These pictures were taken the day after it was cut, admittedly after taking trains and buses and taxis and sleeping on it, but still I thought it would never look as good. But it does! It's an idiot proof cut and even I can make it look good. I feel much more like myself and lighter and freer and spend about half the amount of time in the shower so all's well with the world. Except that now I have to go to Montreal every time I want my hair cut.

 photo DSC_1177_zps9168c7d7.jpg

 photo DSC_1178_zps000927a3.jpg

25 comments:

Annebeth said...

proud of you!! taking your own life into your own hands, one haircut at a time. And don't underestimate it, a haircut can be huge.

Closet Fashionista said...

It looks amazing!!!! Too bad I am scarred for life after my bowl cut in my younger years :p No short hair for me

Miss Marie said...

Absolutely loving it! Great decision!

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Thanks ladies! I just love running my fingers through it... :)

Anonymous said...

Love your new hair, is so you!


Cee. ♥
Code Overdressed

Ashley said...

Somehow I think it makes you more funky and catalan :) Love it!

Unknown said...

Oh you look stunning, bob with fringe is hands down my favourite haircut. Wish I had the guts to do it again! xxx

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

BEST EVVVVVVERRRRR. I was dying for you to post these hahahhaa

The Braided Bandit said...

Emily I LOVE IT! At first I thought it was just tucked up, btu I was even more excited to see this was the actual cut! I cut mine short about a year ago and now its in the awkward in between stage, so looking at cute bobs makes me so tempted to chop it again!
Hope you're having a wonderful day!
x Hannah

thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com
thebraidedbandit.etsy.com

Frannie Pantz said...

Your hair looks SO CUTE!!!

friedenlinde said...

The Bob! That's a wonderful haircut and it looks so nice on you, even the red pops out more. I had it once like that, bob and red and all, and loved it so much - until they eventually grow again. Your turn, go girl! You look way cute in your new haircut.

Nancy Wilde said...

You look adorable and your hair looks so chic :)x

Anonymous said...

It just looks great and I love the bit of curl in the back.

Mrs. Aa said...

adorable <3

visit mine whenever you had a chance :D

stay fab,
Miss Aa

Monique said...

I adore the cut Emily! This Henri character sounds like fun!

Nina said...

It looks amazing Emily and it really suits you! I feel so much fresher and lighter with my short hair, and I love that the time spent blow drying it is essentially halved!

Babes in Thriftland said...

Love it! It looks awesome on you! I'm glad you took the step and did something you wanted to do. My ex boyfriend liked my hair long and blonde so I left it that way for too long. When we broke up, I cut it in a bob and dyed it red too :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely super.

Fufuquices said...

Beautiful girl !!!

caitlin said...

omg, too weird. i've got almost this exact haircut planned for when we're finally all settled in our new place/life...

celia said...

Ooh it looks great! You look super cute in it, good job Henri!

Pâmela said...

Sooo cute!! I love your new hair!! So, where can I find Henry? :)

Kezzie said...

It looks really stunning!!! It's very flapper! You are very brave. I had my hair cut just like this once as s teenager but somehow I am not brave enough as an adult to do something Si drastic! Thus I am totally envious of your lovely hair! X

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

Pamela: At Les Garçons salon on Boulevard Saint Laurent in Montreal. :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

@Kezzie: Same. Well, actually, I was pretty unadventurous as a teenager, but in my eary 20s I had various short haircuts. I have to say, I don't miss my long hair at all. I liked it while I had it, but this just feels so good!